Wednesday 23 January 2013

That Friday Feeling :)

Well hello

Now today is Foodie Friday :) and my first recipe blog. Now this has been a hard blog to write as I haven't actually cooked properly this week. I'll explain......

Mike managed to pick up a viral infection last week and hasn't been eating properly since Sunday, not helped by the inside of his mouth being covered in ulcers :( so to cook just for me was hard! I'm used to cooking meals for the both of us, and deciding what I wanted was way to hard! So I have mainly been eating spaghetti hoops in toast, sausage sandwiches, and anything I can dig out of the freezer :-S Then, the first time I made something, I tried a good old favourite... Enchiladas! (Here is my lovely Enchilada recipe) But just as I was about to cut up the chicken, I was washing up the knife, and my hand slipped.....and the knife went into the base of my index finger :( It was so so so painful!! But wasn't too deep, I hope, and I whacked a plaster on and carried on making my dinner. It feels very bruised now, but I'll live :)

So this is a recipe I made last week and very much enjoyed :) Now this is one of my go to recipes when 1) we can't decide what else to have, or 2) we don't really have a lot of food in the house!

Toad in the Hole

Ingredients
6 sausages
1 tbsp oil
4oz plain flour
2 eggs
4 fl oz milk


 
First step is to put your sausages and oil into an oven dish and put into the oven for 15 minutes to get them cooking. Then, to make the batter, you need to mix together the flour, eggs and half of the milk in a bowl.

 
Now, don't get worried if it looks like the picture above.... it's supposed to be like that! Then, mix in the remaining milk, and it should turn into a smooth batter. I then added a special ingredient, only really as I saw it in my cupboard as I was mixing! So I added about 2 tablespoons of stuffing mix into the batter.
 

 
 
So, once the sausages have been cooked in the oven for 10 minutes, I took them out and poured the batter mix over them, making sure the batter surrounds them completely.
 
 
 
Then the last step is to cook this in the oven for around 25-30 minutes until the batter is cooked all the way through.
I forgot to take a picture when I took it out of the oven as we were in a rush to eat! But it looked and tasted good, you'll just have to trust me on that!
 
So, I hope you give this good old classic a go, even without my twist. It's yummy!
 

Are there any twists you give to family favourite meals?

toodle pip!

Beka x


No comments:

Post a Comment