Friday 21 February 2014

Brightening Up

A few weeks ago, I decided I needed to decorate my dining room. We have lived here for 2 1/2 years and apart for some putting some magnolia on the walls just before we moved it, we haven't done a lot to the place. The only room I had painted was the lounge as I couldn't stand the bare plastered walls much longer. We have 3 walls in the lounge and I painted the largest middle wall a light blue, and the two end walls, I went for a deep turqoise colour. I must have done this about a year or more ago, and I felt that it was about time I did some more decorating.

Our house was built in around 1955 and hasn't had mush done to it since then. When we moved in, Mike and his brother fitted new worktops in the kitchen, plastered and layed laminate flooring in the lounge and did some much needed painting in the bedrooms. But, when it came to the dining room, the floor is parquet flooring, and the walls are wooden panels. We decided just to leave it as it was when we moved in as it wasn't a priority. Over the last few years, it has become more apparent how dark and dingy that room is, especially as it has no real natural light. So, I picked up a tester pot from Homebase, sanded down a little section and gave it a go. 


So the next week, I did some research about the best way to paint over wood panelling, and went out and bought primer, paint and brushes and got work. I had to borrow a sander from my in-laws as I tried doing it by hand, but it took me so long to do a little patch, and with the sander, I did all the walls in about 30 mins! 

So, I sanded, primed all the walls, painted the skirting boards/door frames, then painted the walls and, once Mike had put my accessories were up, I was so pleased with the result!


It is so much lighter, and looks so much bigger. I love my clock too! Bargain at £16 from a wholesaler near me. It was a lot of hard work, but well worth it. Now planning on wallpapering the entrance into my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment