Tuesday 2 July 2013

Retail Royalty Challenge

Well hello

I was contact a few weeks ago by someone at MoneySupermarket.com asking if I wanted to take part in their Retail Royalty Challenge. To mark the Queen's birthday, they have designed a challenge where they give a blogger £30 towards a registered charity of their choice. We then get to spend it on something that the charity needs, from food, to clothes, or sports equipment.


My chosen charity was Mind, The Mental Health Charity.


Why have I chosen this charity?
I have lived in Sevenoaks for nearly 2 years now, and I found it hard to make friends. There are a few mums at the school that I would chat to, but not really go for a coffee with them. I don't work, so I have not been able to make friends that way. To be honest, that is one of the reasons for starting this blog was to chat to anyone who may want to listen, and make some friends. In March, I joined a group on Facebook called Sevenoaks Mums Network. It was a great place where people were chatting, selling/buying things and asking for advice. So, as I was looking through the posts on there, I noticed one for a Mum's Support Group on a Monday evening. It had been posted by one of the ladies that run it, so I emailed her just asking if there were spaces, and she said I was welcome to go along and gave me the address. So, Monday evening came along and I headed to the address she gave me. As I was driving down the road, I could not see a house with that number on! So I gave the lady a call, and she said I was right outside, and I looked and there was Mind - Sevenoaks Area Centre. So I went in and was greeted by some lovely ladies, had come tea and biscuits and a good old chat! And I now go every week! It's a great way to have a chat with friends, listen to their problems and just get some time away. I have found it so useful and enjoyable, and made some good friends. 



So, when I was approached about this challenge, I knew where I wanted the money to go. Mind, and especially the lovely ladies that run our Monday night group, have helped me so much, and I am so grateful. So I decided to give the money towards us :) I found out last week that the ladies that run the group actually buy the biscuits/treats out of their own money. They were happy to do it, but I thought that that would be a good way to use the money. So last night, I gave them the £30 and explained what was going on. They were so pleased and really grateful. So for a good few months, we can put the money towards some lovely nibbly bits to have whilst we chat :) I know that this may seem like a little thing, but what the group does for me, and the other ladies that attend, is invaluable.

I want to say a massive thank you to MoneySupermarket.com for letting me take part in this challenge, and for enabling me to show my appreciation for the great things that Mind does, not just for me, but for everyone that they help.

 If you want to check out them, and what they do, please visit them at http://sevenoaksareamind.org.uk/

toodle pip!

Beka x

No comments:

Post a Comment